Monday, August 16, 2010

Morning Message

Today I started our morning message. It fits right in when we put our clothes pins on our chart each morning after completing certain chores. We talk about the day and what we plan to do. We talk about yesterday and things we may have already done. I let Isaac choose a sentence for me to write. I write it slowly, drawing attention to beginning sounds, writing left to right, forming letters, again---whatever I feel needs to be addressed for him. When I’m finished writing, I read it again, pointing to each word. We count the words. Then I cut up each word separately. We look at all the words that make up the sentence. I mix the words up, and I let Isaac try to reform the sentence. Obviously, at this age, he needs guidance, but I have him find familiar words. We find words that begin with the same letter, etc. You’d be surprised at what your kid knows and comes up with!

We wrote “We took Nicholas and Leah to school.” Isaac recognized the words “Nicholas” and “Leah” right off. He grouped “took” and “to” together because they both started with “t”. He recognized “school,” but probably wouldn’t know it if the word was isolated from this situation. Still, he was familiar with the sentence that we read aloud and made good “educated guesses.” I kept the message posted under his chart. Throughout the day, we came back to the sentence.




We played outside this morning because it was much cooler! Thank you cool front! Anyway, Isaac went and grabbed items, without me asking! He said, "Hey! Let's go write the words!" So we did. He wanted to help write this time. He wrote the "l" in leaf and the "f" in flowers. I had to cross the "f" for him, but I was still impressed. Of course, I'm impressed. I'm his Mama.


What would preschool be without playtime? I found this mess in Isaac's room. He said he was making a birthday cake to show Pa. I told him we couldn't leave it there until the next time Pa came to visit, so we'd take a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment