Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A few more activities

I had mentioned that I had some concept sorting folder activities. Isaac asked to play a game with me during Eli's nap, so I decided to use some of those as games. I acquired a book in college called Words Their Way. I love it! The activities in it are printable from a cd. I'm so glad I put most of these together before having kids! Isaac really enjoys them. Earlier in the day, we did a sort with different fonts of the letters G,E, and H. Here he was doing a work/play concept sort. I wanted to start it out open-ended, but he really needed some guidance on what I wanted him to do. I ended up having to tell him to sort them into work/play groups. So with the next folder activity, I let him try to decide how to group them. It was on transporation with water/air/ground means of transportation. He decided on water and air groups, but couldn't decide what he'd call the other group. Finally we did one on body/clothes. He was disinterested so we moved on to something else.

After supper, Isaac went to my folder file and grabbed an activity on his own! He wanted to do another game. This one was called Alphabet Spin. You take a turn on the spinner. It lands on a capital letter. You are to find the corresponding lowercase letter to match it. He did excellent with this. Other than the p's, q's, d's, and b's which I tried to work on separately, (These should be taught separately) the only letter he had trouble with was "Ll"

At supper, James told me about a learning event that happened yesterday that I guess I missed. He said Isaac was at the computer typing a word in the search engine. He said, "Daddy! Where is the 's'?" When James went to help Isaac, he found that Isaac had typed the word "games" into the search engine! James didn't see this word on the web page, so we're assuming Isaac memorized how to spell it after seeing it on Yahoo Games many times. So cool.

2 comments:

  1. Are you not having a ball?! I am so glad you are getting to enjoy the delight of teaching your children. It is not alway a perfect day but I have found my grown kids always seem to remember the fun things we did and I am the one who focuses on the difficult days. Guess I should learn from THEM! I think that is what it is all about. Have a great time with your kiddos. You will never regret the time you spent and memories you made with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having alot of fun! Of course, since Isaac is only 3, I'm not feeling alot of the pressure yet. But since I really decided to push this, I feel like I'm making him a bigger priority now. We're not really "having school" but just enjoying one another and exploring the world together. I think in the past, I've tried to keep him occupied so I could go do what I wanted to do, but now I feel like I'm being a better parent, I guess. I'm having fun looking for learning opportunities in everything we do. Letting it come naturally is so fun!

    ReplyDelete