Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Little bit of economics, little bit of science ;)

I had to get ready for my yard sale that I'm having at the Rush Springs watermelon festival this weekend, so I drug out all the "junk" to put price labels on. Isaac was immediately excited and wanted to help like always. I told him what we were doing, and he asked if he could get the labels for me. Perfect opportunity to talk more about money! I showed to him dollar signs, cent signs, and what the 25 and 50 cent labels looked like. More exposure to numbers I guess. He had a good time learning to hand me the right sticker. I explained to him how people were gonna buy our stuff kinda like when he and I pretend to play cashier with his toy cash register and toys.

I also had alot of okra to blanch for freezing. Again, "I wanna help!" (I hope he always wants to be a helper.) I let him take the okra out of the cold water and put it in the strainer. We talked about how when water gets really hot, it begins to bubble---we call that boiling. Then I said, "See this?" I ran my fingers through the steam above the pot. "Smoke!" he cried. "Well, kinda. When water gets really hot it turns to steam." I warned him how steam can be very hot and burn you too even though it seems like nothing. I let him run his fingers through the top of the steam where it was cooler so that he could see how it made his hand wet. I said, "So see it is water in a different form. It just changed." Probably beyond his comprehension right now, but doesn't hurt to introduce it in everyday life right? He'll remember the experience and just continue to build on to his knowledge.


BTW- Special thanks to a friend from church who GAVE me a ton of her homeschooling supplies! Wow! Primers and phonics stuff. Even a book full of lesson planning forms, activity, and award reproducibles. Thanks, Jennifer!

No comments:

Post a Comment