Thursday, February 2, 2012

Teaching them what is really important

I often just focus on the academic here on this blog, but I wanted to take a moment to talk about what is really important. The number one reason for our choice to homeschool: God. Most in the homeschooling community have heard time and time again that we need to put in place the principles of Deuteronomy 6. Basically, to teach them all things concerning God:

- When they are sitting.
- When they are walking.
- When they are rising up.
- When they are going to bed.

I try to apply scripture throughout the day with the boys. Sometimes it may not seem like it cause I am constantly always chasing my boys, disciplining them. Some may think that I don't have my hand on them, but I know their personalities, I know their hearts. Those critical of my boys don't hear them when Isaac says, "I really, really try Mommy, but it is so hard. I'm trying." or "Dear God, help me to be good."  My Papaw once said that Isaac was the most stubborn child he's seen in all his 7 kids, 27 grandkids, and 17 greats. Someone might say, "Well that shouldn't make you feel very good!" but it actually makes me feel more relieved. Maybe its not all my fault! I don't want their "difficult" personalities to always be an excuse for them though. So as apart of my daily homeschooling, we do a lesson everyday from the Bible Study Guide series. Usually something concerning character is applied to each Bible lesson. I think I'll see the pay-off soon enough.

And in continuation to this thought of teaching them what we should...Isaac faced me with the question I knew would come someday, but I didn't think it would come so soon. I hope I answered it correctly and age appropriately. You see...my husband had an unfaithful wife in his first marriage. We have joint custody of his two children. Isaac sees his big brother and sister come and go. He hears them say "Mom" or "Gary."

So Isaac tells me today. "I wish I had two moms."

Taken back, but not wanting to jump to conclusions in his thoughts, I said, "But God gave you me. Why do you want two moms?"

He then said, "Cause Leah has two moms."

I say, "Well, you see when a little boy grows up to be a man and a little girl grows up to be a woman, they marry, and have children. Those children will have one mom and one dad. That is the way God wants (or intends) it to be. One mom."

Then he says, "Why does Leah have two moms?"

Oh boy....so I just say, "Well, sometimes things happen that God doesn't want to happen, but God wants you to have one Mom." And with that, I think he was finally satisfied because he returned to his play. Whew! Wiped my sweat.

Parenting has got to be the hardest job. EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment